Friday, April 16, 2010

Revamping our schooling style

My son was to write about a place he doesn't like. He couldn't think of any place, so he put homeschool, because it takes up time. On the next page, he was to write interesting sentences...so, I suggested telling about his rock collection. I said nothing more. He's now been writing for 10 minutes about his peanutbutter rock.

I've been searching for Project-based classroom websites since just last night T. and I were talking about making our children's learning useful. I thought to make our school science project based and branching the language arts off of that...spelling words from what we're learning, reports, books, etc.

Today's writing lesson confirmed that my child is more gifted than the average student and since I haven't enjoyed our school's state-adopted curriculum and neither has my son, it is time for a change. My sister-in-law's sister-in-law suggested a couple of years ago that I use what the school gives me and then decide what is best for our children and go from there. I don't know if she said that, or if that is what I learned from our conversation, but that is definitely what we need to decide soon since we will have 2 school-age students next year.

I found this: Project-based learning. I think that we will change to this approach.

I'll post more as I figure out what we are doing...

1 comment:

R. Hansen said...

http://specialed.about.com/od/giftedness/a/giftedsteps.htm

has great ideas, too, for getting your gifted child to learn